Tonight as I was relaxing I decided to watch a special on the History channel about the events of 9/11/01. Savannah and Candler were both asleep and I just laid down and let my mind go back nine years. Nine years ago I was in my high school German class trying to understand what had happened. The television was on, Frau Casler was crying, and I didn't know what was going on. She explained to us the situation and we watched horrifically as the second plane went into the twin towers. We continued to watch as both towers collapsed. I didn't even know what the world trade center was before that day. I was only 16 years old. I didn't understand the impact this one day was going to have on my life.
Friends of mine from high school decided to enlist in the military. People I knew were fighting in Iraq. I visited ground zero while on a trip to New York. It was so quiet. Getting off the subway it was always noisy until we got to ground zero. There was such an eerie calm. I won't forget it.
Sixteen year olds today aren't affected by the events of 9/11 as much as those that are in their twenties. I guess this will be a day that I will always remember. I'm glad for the reflection. I'm thankful for the freedoms that we enjoy in this country and I'm forever grateful for those that have and continue to defend them.

No comments:
Post a Comment