Big Girl Room Makeover:
- Remove trim and paint over hideous green/yellow paint
- Re-install trim
- Purchase twin mattress (COSTCO), twin bed (IKEA), and dresser (IKEA)
- Assemble bed and dresser. Paint both white.
- Purchase and install roller shade.
- Clean and re-use white (it's really more of a cream color) arm chair
- Purchase accent pieces (these were procured slowly when I found something I liked) - Bedding ($10 Pottery Barn set from church sale), curtains (IKEA), curtain rod (IKEA), picture frames (recycled from unused ones in the basement spray painted), shelf ($1 at garage sale), animal picture (gsale), flower rug ($10 Hobby Lobby), lamp ($7 goodwill).
- Re-use accent pieces - Birth announcement (gift from my friend Grace), Green Mirror (neither of which was hanging on the walls...I know, I know...), pink jewelry box (pretty sure this was a girl scout gift once upon a time that I used in my room at my parent's house), polka dot rug (from IKEA - this was the one item that she picked out there and refused to ever let go of it. She still loves it and has to step on it before getting in bed), hamper, and white arm chair.
- Essential items for success - fan for white noise, picture scriptures, three books to read at bed time, princess blanket to snuggle with while reading, pink blankie from Aunt Amelia to sleep with, and her favorite animals - 101 Dalmation Patch with collar and Elephant (both from Aunt Amelia), and the giraffe.
We still have a couple things to do (pick up pictures from COSTCO and put in frames, fill holes on the trim) but we decided to move her in tonight. She was excited while we have been doing her room and really liked it once it was done. But, bedtime because the real test - she said "No I want to sleep in my other room." I thought about giving in, but I knew that she would like her new room. So we took it slow, let her go get some milk, sat down to read scriptures and then she was in her routine. Told Candler to leave so we could shut the door and it was a cake walk from there. Now we just have to wait and see if she falls out of bed or doesn't sleep as well. I opted not to put the monitor in her room because we hardly use it anyways so I figured now was a good point to test if we actually still need it.
We discovered that we have room in our family for a twin bed - good to know!
View from the door with sunlight
Utilizing the shade
Her bed
Side view of bed
View across from her bed
Reading corner
Dresser
Most important items
Flower detail on curtains
She wanted to take pictures of her new room
Proud Papa
Breaking in the bed
Nice job on this room you two! I love the colors that you picked...smart choice. Looks like a little girl room, and with same colors could easily move into an older girl room or even boy, or guest room, WITHOUT repainting!!! It looks darling. She is a lucky little girl to have Candler and Colleen for her Mom and Dad...hugs....:0)
ReplyDelete