Friday, October 28, 2011

Getting My Body Back

This morning Sav and I went out to goodwill to pick up two new (smaller sized) jeans for me. I love buying jeans at goodwill because for $5 I can get a pair of jeans in really good shape that I know have already been washed and shrunk to their current size. I am excited that I finally after 20 months of being a Mom have my body back to better than my pre-pregnant shape. But, as I start thinking about getting pregnant again (no this is not an announcement) I was thinking about the transformation that my body has undergone these past three years.

I had a really had time mentally with gaining weight during pregnancy. I've always been the same size, give or take 5-7lbs. I ate well and ate when I was hungry so don't think that I was overly cautious about eating that second doughnut. But, being okay with numbers on the scale that I had never seen before was a mental challenge. Then after I had Savvy working out wasn't on my radar for a while. Candler was in school and working so I was on my own for most of the day/evening. Financially we didn't want to join an expensive gym so I attempted now and then to work out at home with little success. I just didn't push myself hard enough while working out in my living room. Then came my turning point. A friend posted pictures from a party and tagged me in the image and it seriously took me three looks to find myself. I didn't recognize myself from behind.

All in all I hadn't gained more than 15 lbs, but I had lost a ton of muscle and didn't look like me to me. So enter my now successful Colleen plan to getting my body back.
Note - this is what worked for me and I'm documenting it so it can hopefully get be back in shape again in the future after another little one is born.

  • Be Happy - I am a strong believer that when I am not in a happy mental place or overly stressed that my body doesn't react to diet and exercise the same way. Some people hang onto weight when they are stressed or depressed and I think step number one for me was getting to a happy place with motherhood.
  • Eat at home - Since becoming a mom I had a huge change in my eating habits. I used to go out to lunch with co-workers on a regular basis. While I still meet up with a friend every now and then for lunch out my normal breakfast, lunch, and dinner is whatever I make at home. Consequently, I've developed a huge love for cooking a delicious meal. I now try to make sure that I eat more fruits and vegetables with my lunch and dinner. I'm also more aware of what I'm putting into my body.
  • Drink water - If you come over for a meal I will always have milk and water available as a beverage. Pop is only for super special occasions. Koolaid is for fun group dinners. Otherwise, it's water with meals. I have said multiple times to my Mom that my body is made of water, not pop.
  • Exercise - To get my body back I decided to join Jazzercise. I was skeptical the first class I went to but afterwards I was in love. Each hour long class includes a warm up, intense cardio workout, strength training, and a cool down. I am drenched in sweat at the end. I used to have a gym membership and would often workout on the eleptical and then do some weight lifting, no where near the workout I now get with Jazzercise. Same story with Zumba and the other gym cardio classes. It was very instructor based if the class was good or not. But even though I loved Zumba, it didn't build my muscles as much. Okay, off my soap box. Working out 3+ times a week is important to my physical and mental health.
  • Have a Deadline - My sister conned me into running the Rukus race with her in August. That forced me in a month to go from not running to being able to run four miles. That was huge! It ended up being a huge confidence booster and a great time. Having a goal really helped me kick my body into better shape.
  • Have fun - Since the race is now past I haven't been as great at running, but working out with friends has filled that gap. I've gone running with some friends and each time I go to Jazzercise I look forward to seeing my friends.
  • Wear structured clothing - Last piece for me is not allowing myself to wear stretchy pants all day. Putting on my jeans lets me know each day how I am doing physically. I don't like to get on the scale very often, so my jean test is my daily check.

5 comments:

  1. Very well thought out plan. It takes time to find out what works. In our family, stress keeps weight on. Finding exercise routines that are fun and challenging help to reduce stress as well as tone the body. Good self-analysis sweetheart. Love you bunches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! Oh my goodness, I'm so proud of your progress. I think magazines should favor articles on not "how I lost weight"....but "how I kept it off!." I loved everything you wrote. I agree 100% with everything you wrote and if I were your trainer I would give you an A+ I came up with a plan I think you'll like...I stole it from Herman Cain 's 999, mine is 322.....30 minutes on machine, 2 miles, 200 calories. That way I can't make my workout 30 minutes of leisurely walking...hehe.
    I'm going to follow your example and drink water from now on with ALL meals. No more diet pepsi. If you catch me slipping, give me an elbow!...hehe...:0) seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you Colleen! I never thought you put on alot of weight but I applaud the fact that you reached a frame of mind where you are happy and celebrating your body. I liked how to placed being happy on the top of your list. I agree that it starts with the right attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Colleen, I feel like I'm at that point to get my rear in gear and this was a great motivator. You look great btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww thanks for the comments ladies!

    ReplyDelete