Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Pittsburgh

This weekend we went to visit my sister and her husband in Pittsburgh. For living in Ohio my entire life I found it surprising that both Candler and I had never been there before. We must take more road trips in the future.

To help Savvy stay happy in the car we switched her car seat to face forward and got a portable DVD player so she could was some Sid the Science Kid DVDs that I got from the library. She was in the zone. For a solid 3.5 hours she was a happy camper. I handed her a snack cup and a sippy cup every so often, but she was very focused on watching Sid.


Dancing in the car to Sid

Driving, driving, driving

Happy and in the car

Eating a pretzel while looking at the stuffed animals at Cabela's

Yay for PA!

Munching on some goldfish

Em with her flowers from David

Playing with Aunt Em and of course wearing a necklace

Aunt Em knows how to keep her happy

Friday night we went to dinner at Primanti Brothers so that Candler could have one of their fry and coleslaw stuffed sandwiches. Amazing discovery for me was that I could get a salad  with fries on it. Heathly and indulgent in one. Lovely. Apparently at a lot of establishments in Pittsburgh offer salads with fries.

Looking at the Primanti Bro's menu

Saturday we went into downtown and Nate shared with us a bit of history. We took the Duquesne Incline car up so we could overlook the city. Beautiful. I didn't realize that there were three rivers in Pittsburgh (I know I must have been living under a rock but Candler claims to only know because of the Steelers stadium). Here they are the Ohio River, Allegheny, and Monongahela Rivers.

Getting on the incline car

All together









We then went down to an area known as the Strip District which is filled with food markets and street vendors. On a Saturday morning it is one fun place to be. We went into one of the whole sale fish markets and had fun walking around thinking of all the fun meals we could make. Alas we didn't have a cooler to transport large quantities of crab legs so it will have to be another day. Candler did find some frozen rabbits - something that he would have been okay doing to Dora the rabbit (jk).


Candler got a sample cup of Lobster Bisque for us to try. He got a tiny spoonful and so did I before Savvy staked her claim. He gave her a small taste and she kept on asking for more until she finished the whole cup, lobster chunks and all. Guess she doesn't have a shellfish allergy.



We got some lunch and then headed back to the house so Savvy could rest and take a nap. Poor little girl had a big day. She's used to taking two naps, but I think it's time to switch her to one so I thought we could attempt to stretch her out so we could play a little longer. Not an ideal strategy for success, but she took a nap :) She then did a few laps around the house and played a bit before we decided to put her in the car again.
Nate with his (huge) lunch

Walking with Daddy

Our great hosts
Stealing some slurpie 

Flying with Uncle Nate

We had some Mexican for dinner and then it was bedtime for Sav. Amazing how fast the day goes by when you have a baby to accommodate.

The boys went out to watch a UFC fight at BW3s and the ladies curled up on the couch to watch Enchanted and eat some ice cream.We had bigger plans for a Wii dance off but we were both exhausted. Wheh. So we fell asleep on the couch and called it a night at 11pm. Guess I can't stay up like I used to when I know Savvy will be calling in the morning.

Sunday morning we packed up the car. Said our goodbyes, we love yous, and we'll have to do this agains. Then we climbed back in the car and made it home in about 3.5 hours. Savvy went down for a three hour nap when we got home, I fell asleep for 1.5, and the tiredest of us all, Candler, couldn't fall asleep. Poor guy. We ended up having dinner over at the Hatch's and it was great for Savvy to be able to crawl around and play.

Laying in bed last night I realized this is the most jam packed weekend we've had in a long time. Certainly can't do it every weekend, but it certainly was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment