Monday, June 7, 2010

Counting

Counting has always been my source of comfort and lately I have been giving it some thought. I've been counting the weeks since Savannah was born, now the days and hours until Candler is done with Spring quarter, counting the hours until Savvy feeds again. I guess I've always been counting from my first dance class which typically was a 1-2-3-4&5-6 Go 7-8 and then in drumline all the bass drums did was count and play on a certain beat. Not to trivialize the bass drums as playing on one sixteenth note was not an easy task but it was nevertheless counting.

Well tonight I'm again going through a counting venture - I'm sleep training Savvy for the second time. The first time she did get much better at sleeping in her crib (thank heavens because she was quickly out growing the bassinet) and falling asleep by herself. But somewhere in the past 2 weeks we relapsed and started picking her up when she was fussing in her crib. With her stubborn attitude toward sleep (which I think she inherited from Candler but I can say that since I'm the one typing this post - love you!) once she goes down you have to let her get to sleep by herself. If I even show my face she goes double volume and will not calm down. So again tonight we are doing cry-it-out bootcamp. So now I will be counting the minutes it takes her to fall asleep for each nap and at bedtime. It's hard as a Mom to listen to your child cry but sleeping is a skill and one that she desperately needs. I've done the research and the post describes the benefits. It's hard work but this time I'm committed and no relapsing.

In other family news (sorry no pictures today) Candler takes his last final tonight so we will have two weeks free from school. Well, technically not free because Candler will have to prepare for his busy summer quarter where he is slated to take three classes, but more free than usual. I also just accepted a part-time contractor position with my previous employer. Candler and I had prayed about my decision to quit after Savvy was born and I knew it was the right thing to do. I really loved the people I worked with but it didn't work out finding a way that I could be the Mom that I want to be while still contributing to the company. A few weeks ago a new opportunity opened up and we'll see how it goes. I'll be working mostly from home with the occasional meeting that I will have to go to. It feels great knowing that going into this position they know my priorities and I'm not being asked to sacrifice time with my little girl. Things always work out - you just never know how they are meant to go.

6 comments:

  1. That is so wonderful to hear about your part time position. It sounds perfect for you. I'll be down the street if you need any help/need some time to relax!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great something opened that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she got the no sleeping from yourside of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy these opportunitiesare being given to you (for work), and good luck with sleep training. I love you! once you get the sleeping down will you come visit me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO excited to hear all of that.....but especially the part time thing :) I'm just sorry that I'm not the one who could snag you back in!!! Still need to schedule a catch up lunch too! Now we have much to talk about. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Congrats on the gig. You're gonna have to tell me more about it when you get a chance.

    Cheers!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete