The past several weeks I have been on a big reading kick. I always read for about 20-30 minutes every night, but lately all I've wanted when I have a down moment is to get back to my book. I wanted to find some more thought provoking books than my fall-back, easy read, mystery novels or widely popular teen series.
Here are the few really enjoyable books that I've recently finished. I hope you find one that you are interested in reading and think of a good book you think I might like. I love a good book!
Friendship Bread: A Novel by Darien Gee - I have received an Amish Friendship bread starter and can completely relate to those that flatly turn them down. Yes the bread is tasty, but fitting in my pants is sometimes more desirable. This novel is about the unexpected impact that receiving a thoughtful gift had on a group of women and a community. Inspired me, reminded me of the importance of family relationships and not holding onto grudges, and to look for those opportunities to serve and make someone else's day brighter.
The Violets of March: A Novel by Sarah Jio - a writer that gets wrapped up in an unsolved mystery that is presented in a journal. Taught me how important it is to keep a journal. Your thoughts in the moment are always different than when you've had time to reflect.
Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda Janzen - A memoir about a woman who was raised in the mennonite community until she was an adult when she left the faith. She returns home after her marriage falls apart and is revisiting people and places that she knew in her youth. A good reflection on how relationships change over time and an interesting insight to the Mennonite faith and lifestyle.
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer - Historical fiction novel about the German occupation of the English Channel Island Geurnsey. A writer discovers a new group of friends as she uncovers how different the islanders experience was to her challenges in London. I am always captivated reading about WWII, but this offered a new perspective to me and how people survived such a terrible experience and tried to move forward once the war ended.
Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue - Riveting historical fiction piece about a woman that was abducted and trapped in a garden shed room for 7 years where she raised her 5 year old son. Written from the perspective of the son it was really thought provoking on the child's mind and our modern world. The first chapter really didn't get me that interested, but the more I read the more captivated I was. Just finished it an hour ago and am still thinking about what I would have done in the same situation, the role of a mother and shaping your child's understanding of the world. So many thoughts.
No comments:
Post a Comment