Friday, June 24, 2011

Candler MBA Ceremony

Graduation Post - Part 1 of 6

Candler graduated with his MBA from the Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University on Saturday June 11, 2011. I am so proud of him. His family and friends are proud of him. And I think he had the largest, most boisterous cheering section at the ceremony :-)

There were two ceremonies that he could have attended. 1) A commencement ceremony through the business college where is graduate hood would be placed on him. This is a smaller ceremony with only those receiving their masters from the business college. Also a big plus it is in an air conditioned auditorium on a Saturday morning. 2) A graduation ceremony in the stadium with all OSU spring quarter graduates. Need I say more about the crowds, lack of personal attention, heat...and maybe a few more drawbacks that are near and dear to my heart since I would be bringing a toddler with me. I told Candler we would be prepared to attend any and all ceremonies because we love him and he deserves this celebration. He chose the first and we had a great experience.

Candler drove himself to campus (just so he could make sure to be on time because Savvy can sometimes be unpredictable in her cooperation in the morning). Then my sister (who stayed with us) and I got ready and drove Savvy down to campus. We met up with my parents, Candler's parents, Candler's brother and his wife, and Candler's Aunt Judy to create the cheering section. We were mostly up in the balcony because it was less crowded and I could get in and out easier with Savvy.

The graduates walked into the auditorium and we were searching for Candler. I could not find him. And then I saw him turn around in the front row. Wave. Smile. Love. So many emotions. It was a long two years for both of us. Candler was in the working professionals program so he worked full time during the day and then went to class 2-3 times a week from 6-10pm. Talk about long days. Also during Candler's first quarter in the program we found out that we were pregnant. Thus began my true missing of my husband. When Savvy was born Candler had to go to class three days later. That was hard. Then a few months later he changed jobs. Then another couple months and we bought a house. Thanks to loving friends and family and our faith we made it through better, stronger, and a tad bit smarter :-)

I was so blessed during the ceremony to have so many willing family members to take Savvy out so she could run the halls. This was a special day as well for Candler's parents. Candler's Dad also got his MBA from OSU while working full time. Candler's Mom and I shed a few tears over how hard it is to be a mom and have your husband for almost all waking hours during the week and when they are home they can't even play. I wasn't expecting to be so emotional but it was the end of the two year roller coaster and I had to do some reflection.

The ceremony was very nice. As with every ceremony there were some things that we could have done without (the 15 minute video montage of the same 6 people. Reminded me of high school.) and the main speaker that just recounted his resume without offering any true career advice. But, the spirit in the air was of pride, love, and congratulations. I couldn't help put look at other families and ladies with babies wondering if they had also been "Fisher Widows" as they call the wives of the MBA students. Two hours and Candler was done with OSU. Wow. Congrats Candler!

Sav hugging Grandma Rene

Me and my girl

Checking out the toy bag

Loving Aunt Emily and her accessories

Hmmm eating antibacterial gel not a good idea

Hi Aunt Amelia!

Margie and I sharing a moment

Rings of our loved ones

Let the ceremony begin


Candler in the middle, front row






Receiving his hood and the dean commenting on his large cheering section


Graduated!

Sav in the hall watching Grandpa George's Angry Birds game

Adoring family

One happy (graduated!!) family

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you guys. The line "We are a happy family" kept running through my head. Love you guys bunches - Mom Rene'

    ReplyDelete