Monday, April 7, 2014

General Conference Fun

This was the first year that I attempted to get Sav to pay attention to General Conference and I was blown away at the results. I started looking on www.sugardoodle.net which is my go to for church related activities, but most of the activities were either too involving for me or way over her age level. I found a blog that I really like called http://www.momshavequestionstoo.com/general-conference/ their activities were simple and effective. Here is what we ended up doing:

In the kitchen I put the iPad on the table so Sav could eat her lunch while we crafted. We made apostle puppets using empty egg cartons and popsicle sticks. We used this cut and paste sheet for the pictures. Each time a new apostle came on she made their stick and liked making them watch conference. She was so cute. I made spots 1,2,3 for the first presidency and Sav decided that Henry B. Eyring is her favorite. 

Leftovers from Ella's birthday party Sav liked drawing faces on the bunny decorations.

Bunny face!

Using the same link  I made an envelope for each apostle and had Sav match the picture and put it in the envelope. Worked great, she just wants to send them to them now :)

I cut apart straws and gave her some pipecleaners to make bracelets. Big hit.

She had to decorate the lines with stickers - another hit


I must not have gotten a picture of it, but we also did magnetic pom pom art and made the apostles ties have cool patterns.

Overall I would say this minimal effort had a huge payoff. I talked with Sav about how Mommy is quiet during conference so I can listen to the apostles. So we don't talk a lot and try to be quiet so we can listen to what Heavenly Father wants to tell us. Sav would go to the basket and pull out a bag anytime she wanted to do a new activity. She also enjoyed pulling out new dress up costumes that had been in the garage. Cici was free to play during the afternoon session and surprisingly I was actually able to listen to more.

The big realization that something had stuck was today when I put on the General Women's Meeting during lunch and Sav asked me if today was a special day. That's when you know it was worth it. Hope your conference weekend was equally great, hard to realize it took us four years of parenting to get to this point :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment